Monday, March 7, 2011

'Damn, day is gone' by Christina

Hey there,
I was hoping to post something on chapter 1 today, but the day disappeared completely.
Will have something up tomorrow. But I have to say that I really enjoyed this chapter! I didn’t think I would, though. It was especially the stuff about the tyranny of the species, which I, pushing forty, am feeling and have been feeling the last couple of years. Increased PMS (in time span and in force), severely increased back pains, not to mention abdominal cramps and surges that all seem to me as ‘something’ trying to tell me that I am moving into my last stages of reproductive possibility. And yet these intensified hormonal surges are still not accompanied by a desire for children. So I very much feel that my body is a crazy battlefield, with my body not quite understanding what I actually want, so that it can give up the fight and spare me these monthly onslaughts. What I am going through really feels like what Beauvoir calls the tyranny of the species, with my body being ‘the prey of a stubborn and foreign life that makes and unmakes a crib in her every month’ (42). Anyway, that came to mind while working with this chapter. So, will post reading of Biological Data tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment